Empowering Clients to Achieve THEIR American Dream.




  • Initial Consultation
  • Case Assessment Application Review
  • Adjustment of Status
  • Consular Processing
  • Citizenship
  • Interview Preparation
  • VAWA, U visa, T visa
  • Religious Workers visa
  • Appeals
  • Request for Evidence (RFE)


Assist US citizens and permanent residents with relative petitions for family members within the US and abroad.



Assist employers and organizations in

employing foreign nationals to live 

and work in the US.



Assist individuals and employers in 

exploring temporary visas for

special categories such as religious workers (R-1 visa), and artists or athletes (P visa).



Help permanent residents assess their eligibility to apply for citizenship and guide them through the naturalization process.



Prepare applicants for Adjustment of Status and Citizenship Interviews. 


Assist domestic violence and other victims to evaluate  potential humanitarian relief such as Violence Against Women Act (VAWA), human trafficking (T Visa), crime victims (U Visa). 



Q. How can I schedule an appointment with your office?

You can email us or call us to schedule a consultation in our Columbus, OH office. Telephone consultations can also be scheduled for out of state or local clients.

Q. Is there a Consultation Fee? What can I expect during the consultation?


A. Yes, there is a consultation fee.  The fee must be paid prior to scheduling your appointment. A typical consultation may last from 20-45 minutes and consists of an in-depth question and answer session to assess your specific legal issue. If you hire us within 30 days to handle your case the consultation fee will be credited towards the attorney's fee charged in your case.


Q. How do I file for my relative to become a permanent resident? 

A. If you are a US citizen or Permanent Resident (green card holder) you can file Form I-130 (Petition for Relative), for your immediate relative (spouse or child; parent if you are a citizen). There are different procedures depending on where your relative is located (Consular Processing if abroad or Adjustment of Status if in the US). You can find out more information on the USCIS website or contact an immigration attorney to guide you through the process.

Q. How long is the filing process?

A. For immediate relatives of a US Citizen (spouse, parent, or minor child) the process is shorter since an immigrant visa is immediately available. However, immediate relatives of a permanent resident spouse or child), or the adult children or siblings of a US Citizen must wait until an immigrant visa is available. This is based on the Visa Bulletin which can be found on the US Department of State website. Ultimately, there is no real guarantee of how long the process will take but you can monitor the USCIS case processing times or your case status on the USCIS website. 

Q. My spouse just filed for me and I was granted "conditional status". What does this mean?

A. If you have been married to a US Citizen for less than 2 years and your spouse files for your green card, then you will be granted "conditional" residency for two years. You and your spouse will have to file Form I-751 to remove this condition within 90 days of its expiration so you can obtain your permanent resident status.

Q. How can I obtain US Citizenship?

A. Either by birth, naturalization or through your parents (in certain situations).

To become a naturalized citizen you must:

  • Be at least 18 years old

  • Be a permanent resident for 5 years or 3 years (if based on your marriage to a US citizen)

  • Have been physically present for at least 30 months of the 5 years or 18 months if married to a US citizen

  • Be a resident of the State where you live for at least 3 months

  • Be able to pass an English and US History exam (study materials are available through the USCIS website)

  • Have a good moral character (i.e. no disqualifying criminal history)

For more information on the Naturalization Process go to the USCIS website, or consult with an experienced attorney regarding your eligibility.

Q. When can I apply for Citizenship?

A. Generally, you must be a permanent resident for 5 years or 3 years (if based on your marriage to a US citizen). You can begin the application process within the 90 days of your third or fifth year of permanent residency. For more information on Citizenship go to the USCIS website.

Q. How do I obtain permission to study in the US?

A. If you are outside the US, you may apply for a visa to study in the US as an academic student (F-1), vocational student (M-1) or exchange visitor (J-1). There are several requirements, such as acceptance to a certified SEVP school and financial ability to pay for your education, before the visa is granted. If you are in the US with a nonimmigrant visa you might be eligible to change your status and obtain a student visa. For more information on studying in the US go to the USCIS or DHS websites.

Q. What is DACA? Does DACA grant me legal status?

A. DACA stands for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals. It is an executive action made by President Obama to guide the Department of Homeland Security with its enforcement priorities. 

DACA does NOT grant you any legal status in the US. However, if approved you will be: 

  • Protected from deportation for a period of 2 years 

  • Provided with work authorization during that 2-year period.

Depending on the State, some DACA recipients are also eligible for a state ID or driver's license.

Q. Does the court injunction against Obama's 2014 DACA and DAPA executive actions affect the original DACA program?

A. No, the 2012 Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program is still in effect and you can apply if you: 

  • came to the US before your 16th birthday

  • were under 31 on June 15, 2012

  • were physically present on June 15, 2012 and you have resided in the US continuously since 2007

  • are currently in school, have a High School Diploma or GED, or was honorably discharged from the US Military

  • are not a threat to national security or have been convicted of a felony or more than 3 misdemeanors.

Note: you must be at least 15 years old at the time of your application, unless you are currently in removal proceedings.

Q. How does the original DACA (2012) and the proposed expanded DACA (2014) differ?

A. Under the proposed DACA program more people would be eligible because:

  • the age limit (under 31 years) would be removed 

  • the continuous residence requirement would start from January 1, 2010 (instead of June 15, 2007).

Q. Can I travel if I have DACA?

A. In certain instances you may be permitted to travel for work, education or humanitarian reasons. However, you must apply for permission to travel (Form I-131 Travel Document). For more information see the USCIS DACA FAQ's

Note: This content is only provided for informational purposes and does NOT constitute legal advice. Reading this page or website does NOT establish an attorney-client relationship. Please consult with an immigration attorney regarding your specific case.


Q. How does the US Attorney General's DACA announcement affect me?

A. On September 5, 2017, the Trump Administration announced that the DACA program will be phased out over the next six months. If you currently have DACA it will remain effective until it expires. However no NEW initial DACA applications will be accepted. For more information go to or click here.

NEW Q. What will happen to DACA recipients after the program is phased out?

A. Unfortunately, no one knows at this time. Congress has been charged with the task to enact new legislation to permanently address undocumented childhood arrivals. 




As a child of immigrants from Ghana, West Africa, and a native of Brooklyn New York, Mary can easily relate to different cultures and has an appreciation for the ethnic diversity of her clients.


As the owner of Asomaning Law, LLC her passion is to empower and educate immigrants to become productive members of their community and achieve the American dream. Mary has assisted her clients with immigrant and non-immigrant visas, citizenship, interview preparations, DACA, and green card applications. 


She has been practicing law for over 10 years with experience in Corporate, Compliance and Immigration Law. She is currently licensed in New York and New Jersey and can assist clients with immigration issues in any state.

Mary obtained her Law Degree from Albany Law School of Union University (2006) and a B.A. Degree in Political Science from Boston University.






Disclaimer: The content on this website is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Please consult with an attorney regarding your specific situation. 

Asomaning Law Contact Us via phone 614-300-5994 or email

  • LinkedIn Social Icon